Thursday, April 18, 2013

Pia Gazarek-Offermann Plays Spanish Guitar Masterpieces-Part 1

I am proud to announce the appearance of the 2nd CD by the great German Virtuoso Guitarist PIA GAZAREK-OFFERMANN.Since I received this exceptional recording a week ago, I have listened to it several times and have written several reviews written from different angles.I have tried my dear friends' patience by delaying my review over the last few days because I want to give a full account of where this great artist is at this point in her career so good things take time. Since I have the luxury of this blog, I can write as much as I want without having my words truncated to meet a publications word limit so I will be doing a 2 part overview of this great artist because she deserves it!

We have been played a little text tag this week as I tried to research more about my colleague and I just have to get down to the task at hand first of the CD.

On this excellent CD "SPANISH GUITAR MASTERPIECES", Pia Gazarek-OFFERMANN performs the works on a magnificent 2009 KARL-HEINZ ROEMMICH  ( roemmich-guitars.com ). I have first hand knowledge of how great this instrument is because I played it when Pia was last here in New York in 2010 to perform for the New York Classical Guitar Society and The Long Island Guitar Festival. That instrument
" plays itself "! You can realize the slightest musical utterance in such an "awesome" instrument. I immediately told her "Can I have it?". On the CD Pia opens the door wide and deep into the most spectacular world of Guitar colors and articulations all in the great service of the music.What stands out for me was the way in which she weighs the importance of each and every note and phrase that makes the music proud of being performed by her. Time and time again I was drawn into the way in which she attacked and caressed the phrases. I am familiar with all three works on the program: SONATA #2 by Eduardo Lopez-Chavarri , SUITE COMPOSTELANA by Federico Mompou  and SONATA by Antonio Jose. I was happy to see a very little played Chavarri Sonata on the CD because I remember it as though it was yesterday when I first heard it played in the 70's at Carnegie Recital Hall when the brilliant Mexican Virtuoso ALFONSO MORENO performed it at his New York Debut! In the gifted hands of Pia Gazarek-Offermann, the many varied textures in the composition were crafted with expertise and knowing musical understanding.The thematic variety in this composition will surely challenge the greatest musical minds in make coherent sense of so much variety but Pia is up to the task. I would hope that this heavily ignored composition will get a second look now that Pia has given such an excellent reading! The other two works on the program are well known Spanish works: SONATA by Antonio Jose ( Performed several decades ago by my dear colleague RICARDO IZNAOLA ) and The SUITE COMPOSTELANA by Federico Mompou. What Pia does is to make these works one jewel after another.Her use of tone color,phrasing and articulation is of the highest realm of execution which makes the music sings it's best song. At my 1st hearing of the CD Friday April 12th , I wrote down my review of each and every movement and when I get the wind restored to me and am ready to type it all, I will post it here as a part 2. Let me congratulate my dear and magnificent colleague and frind on another great job well done. Folks you must attend her concerts if at all possible because when in this musical world we yearn for our hearts to be touched and senses awakened , here is someone who does just that and more. PIA GAZAREK-OFFERMANN must be experienced!

Don Witter,Jr.
member of NYCCGS

No comments: