Sunday, July 28, 2013

ERICA CHA at MANNES- EMERGING ARTIST IN MOTION

There is a young artist in the making who revealed herself in front of us at the 2013 Mannes Guitar Seminar as she performed in the Sharon Isbin Masterclass. Her name is ERICA CHA and she will be one of our "Greats" if she continues along her current path. From her 1st few notes in the Isbin masterclass, I knew there was someone special in front of me. Her Guitar ( ZEBULON TURRENTINE NO 6 ), had it all together. That instrument was one of the best I have heard in quite some time! Excellent volume and lovely tone character! It must be a joy to play. Anyway, I just got off my I-phone letting Erica know that I am posting this blog about her. Erica has a video on you tube of her playing a Bon Jovi tune ( Livin on a Prayer ) on which she uses a steel string acoustic guitar. I jumped into "Donnie Research mode" and investigated any other possible sources of an ERICA SIGHTING and was happy to find her performance of the aforementioned Bach prelude - Prelude in E major BWV 1006a on the website of her Luthier -
( WWW.ZEBULONTURRENTINE.COM ). This prelude requires an ability to dive head long into a "Forward Motion Dash". No room to breathe in this opening movement . I remembered that John Williams had a posting of this movement online so I immediately ran through his performance ( which is really unfair ) but I just wanted to see how the performances differed. I remember how I just loved Ericas' sure and confident performance in front of Sharon and how Sharon was also impressed-so much so that she was encouraging her to join her in Aspen next year for her course. After Erica's performance, I shouted my praises and was shocked by how the audience did not likewise hoot and holler for this emerging young artist! She won 2nd place in this years' APPALACHAIN Guitar Festival and is a student of RAFAEL SCARFULLERY.
Whoever gets to mold her performances in the present and future will be a fortunate teacher and I do hope that she gets only the best available teachers in her young and gifted life. This young lady has it all going for her and I wish her the best!!!!!
I will be watching her progress and reporting on any new advances as they happen.

No comments: