Saturday, October 5, 2013

Took the summer off.

Hi FOLKS! I took the summer off from performing with the exception of an August 15th Library Concert. I have never taken a rest from performing AT ALL since 1955-my first public performance on piano. It was weird not performing some where around town with the Music Under New York program or any other gigs. It was "Free Flow" time and here we are already in the month of October. I started back a couple of weeks ago. I am still passing up attending concerts , workshops etc. This past week the Great Eduardo Fernandez was in town to give a masterclass and concert. I passed on that also. As I may have mentioned in a previous post. I want to devote the next couple of years to me! I have spent my life supporting my colleagues and friends by attending their concerts,workshops etc . I have been known as the black guy in the suit and the guy with the pad and pen. I should have attended the GFA this year because many friends were there and I really wanted to go but changed my mind at the last minute since it was just before the Mannes Guitar Seminar. You can catch an excellent report on the GFA in this month's CLASSICAL GUITAR MAGAZINE by the always brilliant GRAHAM WADE. I particularly enjoyed his description of the super virtuoso players in detail. He is right on the money in all his acute coverage of the event.I will be giving you a glimpse into this wonderful magazine CLASSICAL GUITAR in my next post. The October issue is chuck full of several great articles which I want to talk about as I was involved in a couple.
 I must admit that I have withdrawn from both the Jazz and Classical Guitar scene in an effort to make up for my not really honing my craft all these decades. I should have been a prominent name in the Classical and Jazz Guitar worlds but did not really bust my chops at all. I was given a great talent but am so embarrassed that I did not work harder at developing it. I am doing it now and it feels so darn great. I have spent some time listening to several decades of my concerts and whew! I was a young monster! I am particularly
proud of where I am at this point because I can truly enjoy the learning process.
  The Internet has so much lesson material it is way too much! I have developed some sizable bags under my eyes thanks to investigating so many lessons and will be sharing with you many of the sites I have found worthy of you time and investigation. For a couple of mentions, Check out the Classical Guitar lessons with JASON VIEAUX  and the posts of GOHAR VARDANYAN ( strings by mail , Mel Bay ). I also will be reminiscing on the greats who have passed by me in my guitar life here in New York. I have been very fortunate to have met the legends and cream of the crop of our Classical and Jazz Guitar scene. I was at the right places at the right time and am happy to have had such a wealth of greats in my life!! I was fortunate to have been active in the 60's onward - especially in the 60s/70s in the Greenwich Village Folk Scene at Folk City and Cafe Wha plus a few other folk scenes! I was fortunate to have met Judy Collins who told me she loved my playing and that I would be a welcome member to her group if I were interested. While a student at The High School of Music and Art, many notable artists were in my classes who we knew would make it big in the music world. The memories are pouring out as I write these few words down and I want to share them with you in future posts. I am also cleaning up my writing prowess trying to curtail my usual out of control forward motion as I know I am excitable when I start my gabbing.
 I also want to write a special post dedicated to the host of great colleagues/friends/teachers who have graced my life with their love and passion for our great and noble instrument. I will not start listing them now because I have many that have passed on and people have forgotten so I want to start a complete list.

ME AND MUNY
 One of the finest things  I have done is to be a part of the MUSIC UNDER NEW YORK PROGRAM. The Musicians in and around the New York City Subway System like myself make this world a better place by sharing our Music with any and every one. I have performed in so many special events for the last 17 years and am honored to please people by introducing them to The World of the Classical and Jazz Guitar. Every time I put this instrument in my hands, I soar into the realm of the Gods in an effort to play the most beautiful Music I can muster on these 6 strings. The LAP PIANO( coined by the great legendary 7string master GEORGE VAN EPS ). I have been a judge for several years on the panel and we have a great group of excellent musicians in the program and I will also be posting a blog devoted to this wonderful organization.

THOSE GUITARS!!!!
We are in the golden age of Classical Guitar Construction!!! Traditional fan bracing, Lattice, Double tops and so many other styles of construction!  W H E W !!!!!! Another post on some thoughts about this topic to be posted by me.

MORE TO COME KIDDIES!!!

No comments: