Wednesday, May 15, 2013

CLASSICAL GUITAR MAGAZINE/JULIA CROWE/CARLOS BONELL

Every month I lick the pages of CLASSICAL GUITAR MAGAZINE and want to thank my dear colleague and friend MAURICE SUMMERFIELD for doing our INTERNATIONAL Guitar Community a great service with this Great Magazine! Maurice has been recognized many times for his daily tribute to the Classical and Jazz Guitar world and will once again be Honored at this years' GFA Convention in Louisville Kentucky ( June 25-30). What a great human being to have in our Guitar world!!! He has also Chosen his staff creatively and wisely and I continue to be in awe of what this magazine has done to further our knowledge in so many Guitar areas! B R A V O    M A U R I C E !!!!!!!!!!!

I have been working on a few projects related to this great magazine but will hold up on announcements until I complete them. I must also once again salute the incredibly diversely talented young woman JULIA CROWE for her monthly informative column "LETTER FROM NEW YORK". It was I who suggested to Maurice that there should be a monthly column covering the incredible vibe of the New York Guitar Scene. I kind of offered myself as a possible Guitar man about town but I was so happy that the duties were handed to this greatly and awesomely talented expert of the English Language. JULIA CROWE is our best and also an excellent Guitarist/Composer of Music for the Electric Guitar. Her fantastic writing spreads out to so many diverse periodicals.She is so articulate and thorough and I must once again point out that wonderful new book of hers "MY FIRST GUITAR". It doesn't get any better than that! If you love the Guitar, you must run out and get a copy of that book N O W !!!!!

I have been in email contact with the great Virtuoso Guitarist/Teacher CARLOS BONELL who has been transposing great info from his own web page to CLASSICAL GUITAR MAGAZINE for the past several issues-all of which have been clean,clear and to the point.So helpful are these tidbits I would hope that maybe down the road they are collected as a book of priceless information on so many great Guitar Topics that will make us all better players! I reminded Carlos how supremely impressed I was when he last gave New York the pleasure of his artistry about 15/20 years ago at the 92nd Street "Y". He was playing a great Fleta that just dripped all sorts of Colors from his great articulation palette! I was the first to greet him in the Green Room after the concert as he was still sweating from that awesome display of gorgeous music making.
I remember he wore an extremely colorful shirt that I loved and his playing was so damn perfect. He reminded me of JOHN WILLIAMS total command of the instrument! Not one note dropped!! W H E W !
Anyway ( and I don't mean ROLANDS' wonderful composition ), just wanted to post these comments as they occurred to me while writing my previous comments!

Donnie

No comments: