Saturday, May 25, 2013

Pia Gazarek-Offermann Delivers Poetry on Guitar-SPANISH GUITAR MASTERPIECES

PIA GAZAREK OFFERMANN is a poetic whiz on her 2009 fabulous KARL-HEINZ ROEMMICH instrument on her just released CD: Spanish Guitar Masterpieces! Three beautiful works from Spanish Composers are played with such verve and beauty opening up the CD with a very little played 2nd Sonata by Eduardo Lopez-Charvarri. The only time I heard this interesting work was in the 70s when it was on the Carnegie Recital Hall debut program of Mexican Virtuoso ALFONSO MORENO! It is a work that requires a sharp mind to interpret the many themes introduced in it's pages and Pia has all the "right stuff" both musically and technically to please us with this performance. It moved me so much that I went to the Lincoln Center Library to see if they had a copy of this Sonata because I remember there being one years ago and as my usual lucky streak continued, I found that copy and sat with it in my lap as I enjoyed my second listening of this CD. My first listening was the evening I first received the CD in the mail. At that time, I listened deeply and wrote a detailed account of each movement in the three works. I do hope that the name of PIA GAZAREK-OFFERMANN catapults to the top of your list of "MUST EXPERIENCE". Fortunately YOU TUBE has several cuts from her 1st CD "SATYAGRAHA" ( 2007 ) which included a stunning performance of the title track ( composed by my buddy BENJAMIN VERDERY) and a lovely performance of Benjamin Britten's  "NOCTURNAL".
  Getting back to this beautifully recorded CD, the other composers represented on this Lovely CD are Frederic Mompou and Antonio Jose. Segovia's recording of The Suite Compostelana by Mompou, still rings in my mind from my old LP ( do you kids know what that is? ). Pia's interpretation is full of sweet nuance and delicate phrasing that throws new light on this very little played work.This work gives the artist six beautifully defined pieces each with another look into the magical world of the Spanish soul. I feasted on each and every movement as Pia's superior use of phrasing and articulation showered the movements with such ingenuity and delicacy. Ending this beautifully packaged CD is that Impressionistic Sonata by Antonio Jose that just flows through it's movements with the thoughtful stamp of thorough artistry by Pia. Three solid works played with superior artistry and several levels of interpretative ingenuity is evident with this beautifully packaged work of art. The sound of the recording is absolutely perfect as it caught the slightest hint of musical utterance by Pia. Let me tell you that her fantastic instrument - a 2009 KARL-HEINZ ROEMMICH - is one of the great instruments being played. I had a chance to try it out in 2010 when Pia was here in New York for two concerts and let me tell you, it is one of those guitars that just "PLAYS ITSELF". I told her "CAN I HAVE THIS"?. I was bowled over when I started to play this magnificent instrument. It has such an easy response to any articulation you could want. With an instrument like this as your vehicle of musical expression, the universe is your sound palette and with an exceptional artist as PIA GAZAREK-OFFERMANN , we are fortunate to have a brilliant ambassador of our music and instrument proudly representing us on the concert stage. Please jump on to YOU TUBE to experience this wonderfully gifted artist and if you are looking for someone special to present in concert, think of Pia. You will not regret a note!

Don Witter,Jr
member NYCCGS / CGSUNY

No comments: