Friday, October 28, 2011

stunning concert by Celil Rafik Kaya at Mannes - Part One

Last night, I committed myself to traveling with all my gear after performing at the Staten Island Ferry for 3 1/2 hours and it proved to be a most wise investment in time and attention because I attended a concert at Mannes College of Music by one of the finest young interpreters of music on the Classical Guitar in History - CELIL RAFIK KAYA! This stunning artist grabbed me from the first note! His instrument was magnificent and all evening it expressed exactly what he requested of it! A cedar topped wonder that had me in that front seat center swimming in such an array of magical sounds! This concert was my first step back into my usual concert hopping reporting and as usual, I came from a gig to catch magic on the concert floor! Below I have a transcript from a concert this young genius did In 2009 and as you see, this man doesn't fool around when he comes to play!

Program:
J.S. Bach Prelude, Fugue, Allegro
F. Sor Grand Solo
A. B. Mangore La Catedral (lento,andante religioso,allegro)
Aire de Zamba (from süite andina)
El Ultimo Tremolo (Una Limosnita por Amor de Dios)

Ara

D. Aguado Rondo
M.C. Tedesco Tarantella
Sonate Hommage a Boccherini
(vivo ed energico)
J. Morel Danza Brasilera
A. Lauro Angostura
El Marabino
Seis Por Derecho
M. Theodorakis Epitafios 3 (one day in May)
Epitafios 4 (you have set, my star)
Epitafios 5 (you were standing in front of the window)

Last night's concert was a kind of "Cd Release Party" because it was a duplicate of his recent CD release and it was stunning from beginning to end.What also made this concert so close to my heart was I have worked on all of these pieces a few decades ago and knew all but one waltz by Delirmando Reis (I have the music).I am foaming at the mouth as I relive the great moments of last night's festivities in my mind. This post is just a teaser for you because this great young artist deserves my best foot forward as I try to fully convey just how important the arrival of this young master is for our cherished instrument. The cream of the young Classical Guitarists from Mannes was in attendance to support their colleague in spite of a day and evening full of rain.When I realized that this young kid was playing after my money making gig and knowing how people tend to miss great moments like this because of weather conditions, I decided that I needed to support this kid and follow up my support with the DONNIE SUPPORT SYSTEM=my thoughts as a player and artist myself so here is part one of a two part tribute to a magnificent young artist!

No comments: