Saturday, October 29, 2011

You Tube is A treasure trove!!!!

I just need to sing the praises of You Tube! There is so much there to feast on! Lessons and Master Classes Galore! There is a wonderful video of JULIAN BREAM and STEPHAN GRAPELLI Playing "NUAGES"! For those of you who don't know it, Bream cut his Guitar teeh on the music of Django Reinhart through his first lessons with his father and Breams favorite companion dog is named "DJANGO". I miss Julians' fantastic playing. On the guitar mailing list which I used to be a member of, I mentioned that Breams' great interpretations lent some to his expertise in Jazz Guitar Playing and someone responded that I was "Full of it". I then told that person to check out that great documentary on Breams life where Bream proudly states that he owes his ability to keep his interpretations fresh because of his Jazz Background! Well, as you know in the Internet world, anyone can spread lies about you and people will believe it. Well I did not mean to get off point. Just thought that I would mention the fact that You Tube has an endless amount of lessons for every type of Guitar you may want to study! I am 61 and still learning tons of stuff from all musical Genres! At this time I am devoting my studies to Chet Atkins,Jerry Reed,Buster B.Jones and Muriel Anderson with some Tommy Emmanuel thrown in! I have always told anyone who would listen that you can augment your Classical Playing by studying other guitar styles! I still believe in this and am proof of the pudding!So jump on You Tube and learn something new today!!!

Check out the current issue of FRETBOARD JOURNAL! It has a great writeup of the fantastic JOHN PIZZARELLI, MURIEL ANDERSON and CHARLIE HUNTER! The overview of Johns' career is excellent! I grew up with Bucky Pizzarelli on the New York Guitar scene when he was in duo with the great GEORGE BARNES. There was the DAVID FROST Interview show that had the duo perform weekly and eventually Bucky had his soon JOHN join him around gigs and I caught them often. JOHN and I (with my dear friend GENE BERTONCINI) share the same birth date APRIL 6th!! Again I say go to YOU TUBE for some great lessons from John and watch his legendary father Bucky burn up the frets! Another fantastic Jazz Artist who lives here in New York is HOWARD ALDEN! Howard is a walking encyclopedia of the Great American Songbook and JAZZ STANDARDS! ON You Tube, he plays with several great artists and you can also get several tastes of his excellent teaching. You should also check out a few of my great teachers on YouTube for both performances and lessons: RICK STONE,JOE DIORIO,PAT MARTINO,RONI BEN HUR,JIM HALL,ROMERO LUBAMBO.I can go on and on about you tube and will in future posts as I am collecting a list of all the people I spend time checking out for hours.I will share names with you which I believe will make your playing hum with greatness. The only hold back will be your inability to spend the time needed to secure that playing prize! You have got to put the time in to achieve the goals you want! There is NO MAGIC PILL!!!!! Also, Don't cry that you don't have time! Concentrate on one topic for ten or so minutes! BUILD THOSE BLOCKS OF KNOWLEDGE! TAKE BITE SIZE CHUNKS AND SWALLOW SLOWLY!!! Have fun with our great instrument! Enjoy the Journey! Speak to you soon!

No comments: